This is such a great cold weather breakfast. It smells and tastes amazing, is comforting, super easy to make, bakes fairly quickly and can be enjoyed for a few days and reheated before serving. I've even had it for dessert because really, it tastes like apple pie. You can top it with warm milk, a drizzle of maple syrup, dollop of yogurt or just eat it plain. It can easily be made gluten free by substituting the oats for gluten free oats.
Reposted from www.fivehearthome.com
- 2 cups rolled oats (can use GF oats)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced apples (about 1 medium apple)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk/almond milk/coconut milk, at room temperature (this is just so the coconut oil doesn't solidify once it's added)
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 8- by 8-inch glass baking dish. I like to use coconut oil spray but you can use any cooking spray that you like.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, walnuts, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt and give it a quick stir. Mix in diced apples, applesauce, milk, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir in coconut oil until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish and bake until ingredients are set and the top is golden brown, around 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.