I am a big fan of sweet potatoes! These were a fun and healthier take on the traditional fajita and really, if I can stuff it in a sweet potato, I will!
Makes 6 servings
- 3 whole medium sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 9 oz chicken breast, cooked and cut into thin strips (you can absolutely use shredded rotisserie chicken for an easy shortcut)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro for garnish
- 1 avocado, chopped for topping
- salsa in the side
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and place in preheated oven with a piece of tinfoil on the rack underneath to catch any drippings. Bake for 45-60 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes.
While potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then add your onions, sauteing for 2-3 minutes. Add your chicken, garlic and bell peppers, stirring until peppers are softened. Add the seasoning, making sure to stir until everything is evenly coated. Remove from heat and stir in black beans.
Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the majority of the sweet potato filling, placing it in a large bowl. Add chicken and pepper mixture to the bowl and mix until well combined.
Place sweet potato skins on a baking sheet and spoon chicken mixture into the skins. Top with cheese and place back in the oven for about 15 minutes, until all of the cheese is melted.
Remove from oven, top with cilantro and avocado and serve with a side of salsa! Enjoy!
Recipe by Cafe Delites