These Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps were so flavorful and easy to put together. The water chestnuts were the perfect things to give these a little crunchy texture. You could put this mixture right over rice if you want to but I really loved it wrapped in some butter lettuce.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce (make sure to get gluten free if you are GF)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (8oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- leaf lettuce (butter/bib/romaine) for serving
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and add your ground chicken and minced garlic. Cook chicken for 6-7 minutes, chopping it up as it cooks, until the chicken is no longer pink. It will continue cooking in the slow cooker so don't worry too much if it's not completely cooked through.
Place chicken in the slow cooker and top with chopped bell pepper, onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and salt and pepper. Toss well to combine. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours.
Right at the end of your cooking time stir in water chestnuts, rice (optional), green onions, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve as is, over rice or in lettuce cups. Enjoy!
Recipe by Cooking Classy