This salad is amazing. It has a great combination of flavors and textures and you could easily add some grilled chicken on top to make it a full meal. Also, kale, I love kale!
Reposted from With Salt and Wit
- ½ cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed & cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups kale, center rib removed, and sliced thin
- 1 medium apple, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ¾ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup toasted pepitas (or pecans)
- Black Pepper
Apple Cider Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons apple cider (or apple juice)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cubed butternut squash in a bowl, toss with olive oil and salt and pepper, place on the parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 15-18 minutes, tossing periodically. Remove and let cool.
While the butternut squash is in the oven, cook rice per package instructions. Let rice cool. (I often do the rice and butternut squash during lunch and throw them in a container and put them in the fridge until I'm ready to use them that night).
Combine kale, apple, dried cherries, pepitas, wild rice and butternut squash in a large bowl.
Combine ingredients for the dressing and pour over salad and toss. I prefer to serve the dressing on the side so I can save any leftover salad without it getting soggy. Enjoy!