I made this as lunch salad that I ate over three days and it was as good the third day as it was on the first! It's a filling salad that's packed with healthy fats, energy giving carbohydrates and protein to help keep you full. The original recipe says to eat it warm which is what I did on the first day but the following two days I ate it cold and it was delicious!
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1/2" piece of ginger root, roughly chopped
- 1 small shallot
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 (15oz) can of chickepeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 10 oz shelled edamame (I buy mine frozen and just put in a colander and run it under cold water briefly and just let them defrost while I assemble the rest of the salad)
- 1 1/2 cup chopped apple
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
Combine all of your dressing ingredients in a high powered blender or small food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside while you assemble the salad ingredients.
Heat a cast iron or other heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat and add your chickpeas. Cook them for about 5 minutes, until they start to become golden brown and toasted. Drizzle with 1/2 tbsp avocado oil/olive oil and stir until well coated. Add your seasonings (salt, cumin, cayenne and ground ginger) and stir well. Add chopped cashews and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, until the cashews are toasted and fragrant.
Pour chickpea mixture into a large bowl and add your chopped apples and edamame. Add salt and pepper to taste and then add your dressing. I used about 3 tbsp of the dressing for my salad but you can always add more.
Enjoy this salad warm or cold!
Recipe from 86 Lemons